[time-nuts] Measuring the accurcy of a wrist watch

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Apr 15 13:52:50 UTC 2014

> Some research has shown that there is an comparable instrument for ANALOG
> quarz watches. As far as I understand it does not try to detect the quarz
> frequency but detects magnetic pulses from the step motors that move the
> hands of the watch.
>
> Has anyone of you ever tried to do this in a time nuts laboratory?

Ulrich,

Yes, this works well, for both those with seconds hands (one magnetic pulse per second) and those with only minute/hour hands (one or two steps per minute). A large coil of wire is all you need. Have a look at the watch timing tools and sensors at http://www.bmumford.com/microset.html or http://www.bmumford.com/mset/modelwatch1.html

Here's an example using a magnetic sensor: http://leapsecond.com/pages/Junghans/

/tvb