[time-nuts] Low cost GPS module for < 100ns timestamping error

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun May 4 18:38:59 UTC 2014

These guys claim "IEEE-754 FPU".     But this is not the board to use for a
Posix-like OS.   For that you'd want disk controller, networking and so on.

The big advantage of this thing is that it has an Arduino compatible boot
loader and pinout so it drops into that environment which is VERY easy for
many people to use.  It has a very short learning curve.   You can't say
that about other embedded Sparc.

SPARC, ARM or AVR should not matter to people who are using the Arduino
IDE,  All they see is the same C++ like environment and a small set of
library functions.

Not all SPARC V8s have FPU: the SPARC spec has a lot of flexibilty in
> implmentation: a lot of "if you want X, then it has to do the following
> things in the following way, but it's optional"
>
> http://www.gaisler.com/index.php/products/processors/leon3
>
> There's multiprocessor versions. Versions with and without cache, versions
> with and without FPU, etc.
>
> If you want a POSIX compliant OS, then RTEMS will definitely fit in
> 200kbytes. Don't know about all the other options.  I've never heard of a
> SunOS implementation on LEON, but there's a lot of weird stuff out there.
>  You do want to make sure that whatever you use is reasonably complete and
> of a reasonably recent version (or at least one you're real familiar with).
>
> There are a fair number of "one-off" ports of some OS or another to the
> LEON, but which don't have any continuing support, bug fixes, or users to
> contribute.  Imagine a grad student doing their thesis on "An
> implementation of RSX-11M supervisor mode on the LEON3-MP"... they get
> enough done to demonstrate that it works, and they graduate, and who has a
> bunch of RSX-11M software anyway.
>

>> Are these shipping yet?

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California