[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361/Z3812A GPSDO initial setup

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Oct 26 13:17:28 UTC 2014

Hi

Probably an important question to ask - how much current does this sub-species of the Z series pull off of 24V?

My *guess* would be it pulls a couple of watts  (say 6W) per box once the OCXO is warmed up. If so, that would be just under 1/4 A on the 28V supply and just over that as the battery crossed 24 V.

If you have the full dual box setup, that would be 1/2 A on battery. A 7A SLA would get you 14 hours of run time. At least around here, that’s a long (and unusual) outage. There’s nothing in the house (except the Honda generator) that will run that long in an outage. I’d be quite happy with a 1-2 AH setup that gives me 2 to 4 hours (or half that if my power estimates are bunk).

The 7AH’s are already dirt cheap. They make a ton of them. I’d save some money, but not a lot. The main thing I’d save would be space.

Bob