[time-nuts] My HP 5370B reads 6 nS out!

Peter Reilley peter at reilley.com
Sat Jun 13 16:48:52 UTC 2015

I just got a new (to me) HP 5370B and I wanted to try it out on the 1 PPS
output
from a Trimble Resolution T.   Using 10K samples averaging it is always
about
6 or 7 nS to high.   Shouldn't this average toward zero?   If I use no
averaging
it bounces around within the expected range.

I have done this test using the internal oscillator and an external rubidium
frequency
standard.   I get the about the same results in both cases.

I did calibrate the OCXO in the 5370B using the rubidium standard and got it
so
that there is less than one cycle difference between the two over a period
of a few
hours.

I have tried a number of GPS units with the same result.

Could my rubidium oscillator be that far out?   It is a FEI model FE5680A.

Am I missing something?

Pete.