[time-nuts] Lady Heather Server On Raspberry Pi 2 Model B?

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 10 19:06:44 UTC 2016

> Porting the GUI client to anything else would be a fair bit of work, though.
Not all that much work.  There are only a few routines that would need to be supplied for screen, mouse, and serial I/O.  Heather was written to avoid as much OS specific functionality as possible.  The code lists the functions that you need.  Most places in the code that talks to hardware can be found by searching for "def DOS" and VFX ... at one time Heather was small enough to run in DOS.
For the screen, as a minimum, you need a routine to draw a dot and a (monospaced) character.  Ideally you want the screen image to be double buffered (i.e. page flipping).   Serial I/O needs an init routine,  write a byte routine,  check for serial char available,  get serial char.  Mouse needs a get mouse position routine.
Heather already knows about and detects big/little endian number formats.
If somebody is going to do a port,  I would recommend starting with the (as yet unreleased) version 4.