[time-nuts] Generating a solid PPS from 10Mhz source

Jerome Blaha jblaha at polariswireless.com
Wed Jan 13 09:22:09 UTC 2016

Hey Guys,

Is there an easy circuit to build that can consistently deliver a 1 PPS from a 10MHz source with excellent resolution and repeatability?  My first application is to test different 10MHz oscillators without a TIC always attached and then compare the PPS output change over time against a master GPSDO PPS with an HP53132A.

The circuit used for PPS generation would have to deliver consistent PPS output with preferably not more than 100ps noise or jitter, assuming a perfect source.  I'm totally guessing that for this resolution, the PPS would have to be generated and accurate to within 0.001Hz every second.  If this is too difficult, maybe the integration time can be increased to generate one pulse every 10second or every 100,000,000.00 cycles?

Finally, is a square 10Mhz reference any better in this case than a sinusoidal input for generating the PPS?

Thanks,
Jerome