[time-nuts] Generating a solid PPS from 10Mhz source

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 19 22:58:24 UTC 2016

Hi

If you fire up the FPGA and measure it, you will find a sub picosecond jitter on a signal passing through it.
If you use the internal PLL or DLL in an FPGA, you might indeed see close to 1x10^-12 ADEV in some cases.
In general you should be able to get into the parts in the 10^-13 range even with an internal FPGA PLL.

Delay wise, you have the advantage on the FPGA that the “internal” gates are running 100’s of ps delay wise
rather than a couple of ns delay. You still have i/o delay and routing delay to deal with. As mentioned in another
post, delay is very much not the same thing as jitter.

Bob