[time-nuts] moon bounce for synchronization

EB4APL eb4apl at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 16:32:36 UTC 2016

We were not measuring frequency but clock offset.  The frequency offset
was estimated from the daily clock measurements.
If I remember correctly we got .1 uS accuracy.
We had several Rubidium, Cesium and later a H-maser frequency standards
and we kept continuous recordings (strip charts) of the phase differences.
The transmitter precompensation kept care of combined Doppler (Moon
motion and Earth rotation, which is the main component).  We operated at
X band, the transmitting antenna had 85 ft or maybe less, I don't know
exactly and the transmitter probably had 20 Kw.
By contrast the receiving antenna was small, I found at a picture
(http://www.douglasvanbossuyt.com/2009/07/19/goldstone-dsn-complex-tour/) of
one that looks the same, at least the dish and pedestal are almost
identical.
I forgot to say that this system was abandoned in favor of VLBI which
gave more accuracy and a lot more useful info.  Both systems had the
drawback that the monitoring was not continuous and needed a lot of
resources at both ends.  By contrast Loran-C and GPS used existing
infrastructure that was continuously available. BTW, I don't know how
Loran-C stations were synchronized, this came granted by the Navy.
We also used once a traveling clock, it was an HP cesium, the one with a
Patek-Philipe clock on the front. The crew who operated it told us funny
stories about the clock traveling on commercial jet seats and afraid
passengers asking  about this bomb looking device and being told that it
was some kind of "atomic" thing.

Regards,
Ignacio

---