[time-nuts] Question about SA.33 Rb clock

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Oct 12 16:06:52 UTC 2017

Hi Hui Zhang,

> in the paper CSAC was described that it is based on CPT technology
> My question is the SA.3x(or SA.2x) also used this method?

Yes. Here's another good read; and it also includes photos of the inside of your SA.33:

http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~jke1/Atomic_Clocks/Papers/Commercial%20CPT.pdf

> In my impression the SA.3x series clock is called Rubidium clock,
> and the SA.45 is a real Cesium CSAC?

Your use of the phrase "real cesium" may be the source of your confusion. The SA.3x uses rubidium and the SA.4x uses cesium. They are all real atoms. These modern MAC / CSAC atomic standards compete with high-end DOCXO quartz oscillators with respect to factors like temperature, stability, and drift. They do not compete with traditional laboratory rubidium or cesium standards.

You may be thinking that because some CPT clocks use cesium instead of rubidium that they are special or more accurate, but this is not the case. None of these compact low-power  laser / VCSEL / CPT -based frequency standards are primary standards.

/tvb