[time-nuts] low noise multiplication to 100 MHz

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 21 20:30:02 UTC 2016

On 1/21/16 9:26 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> It is interesting that the HP8662A multiplies 10 MHz to 640 MHz,
> in steps of 2X.  But there is a crystal filter at 80 MHz to
> clean up the wideband noise of the 10811.  In the 11729, they
> filter the 640 MHz from the 8662 with a SAW filter, again to
> eliminate multiplied up wideband noise.  It's going to be
> tough to replace a 100 MHz OCXO by multiplying.  You have
> the additional problem that 100 MHz is not a power of 2
> multiplication.  I think you're stuck waiting for your
> OCXO's.
>
> Rick Karlquist N6RK

Not so much the wait (which is painful, but can be accommodated), as the
risk that they might not work at all, or that there's another slip.
Unexpected delay is often "we couldn't get it to work yet". Or, it could
be "Bob, the guy who does this, is snowbound for a week".  You never
know for sure, eh?

So, I'm coming up with backup plans..
something like 20 MHz OCXO, x5 Wenzel 2 diode multiplier, PotatoSemi buffer.